Sunday, October 14, 2007

I Love Autumn

I have always loved this time of year and I think that's partly because my mother loves it too. I remember going to the Minidoka Dam and riding bikes through the beautiful parks with the giant trees and their ever-falling leaves. We could rake for about 10 seconds and get a huge pile--at least it seemed that way to me. I remember one time when my dad actually used his tractor to gather up the most enormous pile of leaves I'd ever seen. My sister and I climbed down inside the leaves and hid deep in the crunchy pile until my mom came to take our picture. We thought we would just jump out and suprise her, but we were so deep inside the pile it was more like climbing a leaf mountain to get to the surface.
Fall never seems to last long enough, I guess because we're all in a hurry getting ready for the holidays.
I enjoy writing poetry and I used to write a lot more than I do now. I'd like to share a poem I wrote back in the year 2000. I was still living on Utah State University's campus at that time and it is a gorgeous campus. The mountains seem to encroach upon the buildings and they have the most vibrant red and orange and almost-purple colors bursting from the hillsides. It was during this time of year that I was walking through campus and noticing the leaves falling and how the wind was picking them up and scattering them along the sidewalks. I hope you enjoy this time of year as much as I do. It's a kind of slowing down from the frenzy of summer and yard work, vacations, etc. Have a Happy Fall!

Discovering Autumn

The weather is changing all around us
Autumn is in the air.
I can smell the crisp aroma of
summer fading and Autumn beginning.
Can you smell Autumn?
I can see it.

The trees transform;
brilliant shades with
leaves of every color.
Can you see it?
I can hear it.

I can hear the music of
kid-crunched leaves,
dancing across the sidewalks.
Can you hear it?
I can taste it.

One perfect slice of pumpkin pie,
from gardens ripe with Autumn air,
delights my tastebuds.
Can you taste it?
I can feel it!

Autumn’s chameleon features
awaken shivers of excitement
as the brisk air breathes on me.
Can you feel Autumn?
It’s here!

Written by Rachelle J. Christensen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails