Monday, November 12, 2007

I'm Singing About the Vocalize Workshop

Whew! I am finally breathing again (and posting again) because the Vocalize workshop I put on with Craig Hancock, see details from a couple posts ago, went really well and was a ton of fun. We had 18 students and WOW! Did we give them a lot of information! I was nervous about so much info and how they would receive it, but they were excited to be there and very receptive. There was a lot of impressive talent and eager learners. It was fun to see the different ages and how they reacted to our rhythm classes and how quickly they picked up on new vocal concepts. Our students ranged in age from 8-18 years old.
At the end of the workshop, we recorded all the students singing The Little Drummer Boy and they did a magnificent job. Craig Hancock had written the original arrangement and the kids really liked singing along to an old song with a little new pizzazz.
I gave each student a mini-private voice lesson to prepare them for their recording time with a solo piece they had chosen. They were all so excited to wear headphones and record in a real studio. It was an experience they won’t soon forget.
We’re hoping to put on another Vocalize next spring and maybe even sponsor a music composition contest. Most of the students were interested in composing and many of them had written their own songs already. During our workshop, we taught them the basics of composing and helped them write a song on the spot. It was a blast! We had some pretty funny lyrics.
I’ll keep you posted as to what’s coming in the musical area of my life. I’m hoping to post one of my original songs that Craig helped me arrange. He’s re-mastering it with his new system right now. If any of you are interested in recording something as a gift for the holidays, go to Sagemountainstudios.com to contact Craig Hancock.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails