Monday, January 28, 2008

President Gordon B. Hinckley 1910-2008


Even though I know that President Hinckley is happily reunited with his beloved wife, Marjorie, I can’t help but miss him. He passed away last night on Sunday, January 27th about 7:00pm.
He has been the prophet since 1995 and so it feels like it has been for most of my life. I still remember standing in my parent’s home and sustaining him while we watched a general conference session when he was sustained as prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
I loved President Hinckley because he was good to the core. I can only imagine the happiness he must be feeling as he meets our Savior Jesus Christ. I know it will be a glorious meeting because President Hinckley was one of the most Christlike people I’ve known.
I remember many things about our dear prophet. I remember his voice and when I read any of his many sermons, I can often hear his voice. I remember how he smiled and encouraged laughter. I especially remember when he encouraged all of us to be a little kinder and a little better. He was always so loving of everyone, no matter what faith they belonged to. I am so happy to be a member of the true Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I am so glad that our church is led by a prophet and organized as Christ organized His church when He was on the earth. I am so grateful to have the peace the gospel brings to my life, the direction and the comfort it provides in times of trials. I can’t imagine my life without the gospel and the example of so many great leaders, such as President Hinckley. I will miss our prophet but I can honor his memory by trying my best to live those gospel principles he exemplified so well.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails