Monday, April 14, 2008

Books, Books, Books

Okay, I think most of you might have figured out I really like books. I mean I love to write so it goes hand in hand, right? I've been reading a bunch of different books lately and thought that I would review a few here for you. I like to read all kinds of different books, pretty much every genre except horror and pretty much every age group.
So we'll start with the picture books. I have tons of favorites, but this week I took my girls to the library and we checked out a book called, Wild About Books by Judy Sierra and illustrated by Marc Brown. I loved it! It's funny and the illustrations are great and obviously it's all about books. But it's different because the animals at the zoo go wild about books, so wild that they even start writing their own. My favorite part is probably where the scorpion gives a stinging review of the animal's writing. It's written in prose and really fun, so go check it out and read it with your kids! Both of my girls liked it.
Next up is a favorite middle grade reader that I started reading again. Ida B by Katherine Hannigan is a treasure. Ida B has such a great voice and it's funny, touching, and just altogether enjoyable. I love it because I felt like I had a lot in common with Ida B, running through the trees and talking to nature and just loving to be outdoors. As a child, I hated to wear dresses and climbed trees regularly.

Another library book we checked out inspired my 4 year old daughter to dress to the nines, including sunglasses and a pink boa and run outside and ride her bike around the driveway. It's called Fancy Nancy by Jane O'Connor. It is a funny little story about a little girl who loves to be fancy. When I looked it up, I found there are several books about Fancy Nancy and even a Fancy Nancy kit available. Pretty funny!

I have a weak spot for picture books so I better move on to the Young Adult novel I just finished. Fame, Glory, and other things on my to do list by Janette Rallison was a riot. It was the first YA novel by Janette that I've read and I really enjoyed it. She is funny and when I laughed out loud several times, my little girl kept asking me what was so funny. This was a great story and I enjoyed Janette's writing style. It's a clean book with a great plot, meaning you don't have to be worried about giving it to your teenager to read. And my book is signed by this very successful author too, because I met her at the LDStorymakers conference I attended. She is very nice and knows her stuff!
And of course I have to include the latest romance I just finished. It was excellent and a Whitney award winner! Counting Stars by Michele Paige Holmes kept me up late for a few nights trying to find out what was going to happen. It had a great mix of life events with some good romance. I can see why it was a winner. And it's nice that the author is such a nice person too. I met Michele at the writer's conference I attended and it was fun to hear about her road to success. This is her first published novel. I think there's plenty more in store from her.
Okay, so if you don't have a good book to read right now-- I just gave you plenty of choices, so get busy reading and tell me what you think.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails