Monday, September 8, 2008

My Favorite Form of Recreation


I love reading! I know that reading might not be the first thought to pop in your head when you think about recreation, but it truly is one of my favorite things to do. I love to curl up with a book and devour it from cover to cover.

I have always loved reading and I think it’ because my mom read to me so much growing up. She also paid for a library card since we weren’t in the city limits and drove us into town to check out books. We filled an old blue milk crate with hundreds of books over the years and I never grew tired of reading. She let us participate in the summer reading program at the library and was always involved in the reading programs at school too.

When I went to college, I found that I enjoyed reading textbooks! Note, this would only be for some of my classes, but still I loved learning. During my years of college, I didn’t get to read much for pleasure and so it was a treat to rediscover books of fiction again once I graduated.

As I mentioned, my first child started kindergarten this year. It has been fabulous so far, she is loving every minute of it and I love seeing her enthusiasm. Then, last week she brought home something that made me squeal with delight. A book order!

Suddenly, I remembered all of the times I had perused those thin colored-newspaper pages wishing for books. I remembered when the book orders would come in and the teacher would pass out our orders. I always felt sad when I didn’t get a book and then of course, like a kid on Christmas when I did get to order.
I know I’m weird, but that’s okay—I’m also very nostalgic and sentimental if you haven’t noticed.

So anyway, I was excited and looked over the book order with Gracie. We talked about books and I could’ve easily spent a hundred dollars, but we narrowed down the list to just a few for now. I sent her with the order form today so I hope she remembers to take it out of her backpack. I can’t wait to see her reaction when she brings home her first order of books.

I’m so glad that my mom instilled in me a love of reading and that my daughters have already caught the bug. They love for me to read to them and I do every day. It’s fun to watch how their minds work as they think about the simple plots and ask me what certain words mean or why a character has a certain facial expression in a picture.

There is so much to learn and enjoy from books and reading. I encourage you all to take 20 minutes today to read to someone: yourself, your children, a spouse, an elderly friend. Take the time to enjoy the recreational retreat of reading!


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails