Friday, October 17, 2008

So What’s the Big Deal with Social Networking?

In this day and age there are so many ways to connect to people through the internet. If you’re like me, you might wonder which method is best for you. Or you might wonder why you would even want to be a part of a social networking group.
As part of the yourLDSneighborhood social networking block, it’s my job to educate you. This is fun because I’m learning along with you.
I’m pretty sure most of you have heard of MySpace and many have probably heard of Facebook. How about Bebo or Shelfari or Great Reads? There are tons of different social groups online. Some are geared more toward the younger crowd or at least that’s what their membership reveals and others have different subgroups for any type of person.
Over the next several weeks, I will be joining up with many of these social networks and then giving you the low-down on my experience.
If there is a social networking group you’ve wondered about and would like me to research, please leave the info in a comment and I’ll do my best to help you out.
I used to be paranoid about all the stuff online and becoming a part of it. I do still worry because there is definitely trash, but what I’ve found is that if you do a little homework you can find safe, easy, and effective ways to network on the internet.
So why do you want to network? I’ll give you a few examples.

*The number one reason is to find old and new friends. People like to find someone who shares common ground and by entering in certain preferences you can narrow down a search to find someone who shares your interests. There are groups for people who love to quilt, do family history, listen to music, sports, and on and on.
Perhaps you’ve lost touch with a friend. Through social networking on the internet, you just may be able to find them.

*Do you have a business you would like to promote? Social networking is a huge and now necessary way of spreading the word about your business.
My first published book will be coming out June 2009 and it is important for me to have a solid web presence to get the word out about my book.

*Just plain fun! Lots of people like to surf the web. Some of us are better at surfing than others. I’m here to help you learn to be an expert surfer, to find what you want and enjoy the ride. I want to help you “surf” without hitting any rocks along the way. So please let me know what questions you have and we’ll get started.

Our first social networking stop will be MySpace where I am busy setting up an account and learning a few tips to share with you next week.
In the meantime if you would like a very safe, fun, and easy way to get started with your own social network, I’d like to invite you all to come on over to the neighborhood and enjoy interaction with like-minded friends. http://www.neighborhoodandfriends.com/

Click here to see a post on my blog with more details about this new neighborhood. Stop by and say hello. I’m already a member of several groups.

Return to the Neighborhood and while you're there, subscribe to our fantastic newsletter. In addition to being able to shop in the new virtual neighborhood, the LDS newsletter brings you LDS articles, LDS products, LDS services, LDS resources and LDSinterviews from around the world-all with an LDS focus. Look for issues delivered to your email inbox every week on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. LDS Newsletter Subscriptions are FREE, and joining is easy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails