Friday, October 24, 2008

What’s MySpace?

MySpace.com is the granddaddy of all the social networks—a place for friends.

I set up my new MySpace account last week with a little trepidation of what I was doing. I tend to be on the cautious side when it comes to social networking and since it seems everybody and their dog has a MySpace account, I wanted to do it right.
Well it’s not very user friendly, so I got my page set up and then was interrupted. I came back twenty minutes later to find that my profile said I was SINGLE and I had one new friend and message from that friend named TOM.
When I looked at his picture and saw that he seemed to be a guy about my age, I thought, “Oh crud! I’ve already messed up!” I’m not single—I’m happily married with 3 kids, thank you very much—so I wasn’t venturing into the social networking scene to make those kinds of new friends. But after a few frantic moments in which I figured out how to change my profile to MARRIED and how to check my message from TOM, everything was okay.
WHEW! Turns out TOM is some bigwig at MySpace.com who is everyone’s friend because as soon as you join he sends you a message about MySpace and then continues to send updates and info about the website.
It was kind of funny though. My husband laughed when I told him that I had set up a MySpace page, I was single and already had a male friend.
So I got the first bump figured out and I’m still working on the rest, but here’s some cool facts I found out about MySpace from my favorite friend, Wikipedia.com

MySpace is a social networking website offering an interactive, user-submitted network of friends, personal profiles, blogs, groups, photos, music and videos for teenagers and adults internationally. Its headquarters are in Beverly Hills, California, USA,[1] where it shares an office building with its immediate owner, Fox Interactive Media; which is owned by News Corporation, which has its headquarters in New York City. In June 2006, MySpace was the most popular social networking site in the United States.[2] According to comScore, MySpace has been overtaken by main competitor Facebook in April 2008, based on monthly unique visitors.[3] The company employs 300 staff[4] and does not disclose revenues or profits separately from News Corporation. The 100 millionth account was created on August 6, 2006[5] in the Netherlands[6] and the site counted approximately 106 million accounts on September 8, 2006,[7]. MySpace.com attracts 230,000 new users per day.[8]
There’s quite a bit more information about this social networking company if you’d like to learn more, click here.

So I now have a MySpace account and have been trying to learn the ins and outs of it for the past week. I wanted to learn more so I could share with you what I think about MySpace. I should probably preface this by saying that I love blogging and since that is what I have experience with, I’ll be comparing MySpace a little to blogging.
It’s very easy to join MySpace, in fact here’s an invite if you’d like to start your own MySpace page.

It seems like using MySpace is kind of another alternative to blogging, but a little more up close and personal with your friends. The layout is a little different than blogs though because the emphasis is more on WHO you are, rather than what you write. There’s lots of places for pictures of you, your friends, etc. Places for you to post videos, bulletins, even your own playlist of music you enjoy which you can share with others.
I’ve noticed there are tons of music connections and different celebrities who use MySpace as well. MySpace has even sponsored “virtual record deals” for some of their music accounts.
I have to say that I’m excited about MySpace for one good reason. I found one of my friends again and got to see updates on her family. We’ve been friends since first grade but I haven’t seen her for about 10 years.
I found Blogger to be much more user friendly as far as setting up my own page. I’m still trying to figure some things out with MySpace and I can’t even find a help section there.
As I learn more about MySpace, I will be posting a part 2 with a little more information about this form of social networking.
In the meantime, here’s a few quick tips for setting up your page.
Although MySpace says that you must be 13 to have a page and cannot pretend to be under 18 if you're older--I can't see anyway that they have of actually enforcing this rule--so Be Careful! It's a network for friends, so use it that way.

You can choose to keep your profile private and if you don’t want to share any information about yourself, you can build your MySpace page to your own comfort level.
You can upload photos, add friends, and listen to music.
You can personalize your page background
If someone requests you as a friend, you don’t have to accept. First go to their MySpace page to see who they are, their profile, who their friends are, etc. to help you make the decision.
Bottom line, I prefer blogger.
I also want to remind you that yourLDSneighborhood has a safe friendly social networking group you can join for free and I would feel more comfortable about joining there because there’s a little more control to the content. It's called Neighborhood and Friends Click here to see what it's all about.
If you want to check out the MySpace page for yourLDSneighborhood, click here

Return to the Neighborhood and while you're there, subscribe to our fantastic newsletter. In addition to being able to shop in the new virtual neighborhood, the LDS newsletterbrings you LDS articles, LDS products, LDS services, LDS resources and LDSinterviews from around the world-all with an LDS focus. Look for issues delivered to your email inbox every week on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday.LDS Newsletter Subscriptions are FREE, and joining is easy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails