Friday, November 14, 2008

Book Clubs, Goodreads, and Rachelle’s Book Club

For my social networking focus today I’d like to talk about two similar, yet different arenas for socializing. Book clubs are a face to face grouping to discuss books. Goodreads is an internet book forum where you still talk about your favorite books—just not face to face, although you can post your picture by your name so people can feel like they’re talking face to face.
If you’re a regular reader of my blog, I think you’ve probably deduced by now that I love reading. I am a ravenous reader, devouring books as quickly as I can get my hands on any great books(and the time to read them)! Do you have a similar passion?

Forming a book club or a book group is a wonderful way to get to know people better. After all, what better way do you have to learn about someone’s inner thoughts and feelings than by how they respond to certain books? I think it’s so interesting what two people can take away from the same book. There are book clubs all over the world. Some are as small as a little neighborhood grouping, others as large as Oprah’s book club. No matter the size, you can find enjoyment, companionship, and new ideas from a book club.

Goodreads is an online book club which I recently joined and have already benefited from my membership. I have a group of friends whom I trust and I browsed the selections of books they have read and reviewed. As a result of Josi Kilpack’s review and seeing this book listed on other Goodreads pages, I am currently reading Peace Like a River by Leif Enger and thoroughly enjoying it. I’m laughing, pondering, and being educated on a variety of interesting things.
I like Goodreads because it’s an easy way to keep track of all the books I’ve read and when I read them. I can browse through hundreds of books recommended by friends instead of just picking on up at random at the library and getting surprised. I figure if 3 or more of my friends are all saying a book is good—then safe to say I’ll enjoy it too.
I encourage you to join Goodreads not because it gives me any perks (it doesn’t) but just because I think it’s set up so nicely and I think you’ll enjoy it. You can edit your own profile, add a picture, you can set your account to receive updates from your friends and see what they’re reading or if you’d rather not get the email you can just go to the website and peruse at your leisure.

I would also like to invite you to join Rachelle’s Book Club. This is pretty simple—just check out my sidebar and you’ll see titles of books I have read and reviewed on this blog. I read from pretty much every genre except horror and so you should see a pretty well-rounded amount of books to choose from. To join my club, all you need to do is comment on some of these reviews because I’d love to know what you think as well. I figure that makes you a member in my club.

Stay tuned for more reviews on methods of social networking as well as great books from Rachelle’s Book Club.

Return to the Neighborhood and while you're there, subscribe to our fantastic newsletter. In addition to being able to shop in the new virtual neighborhood, the LDS newsletterbrings you LDS articles, LDS products, LDS services, LDS resources and LDSinterviews from around the world-all with an LDS focus. Look for issues delivered to your email inbox every week on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday.LDS Newsletter Subscriptions are FREE, and joining is easy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails