Friday, November 21, 2008

Turkey Day!

I love Turkey Day! Thanksgiving has always been one of those peaceful kinds of holidays for me. That peaceful feeling is most likely due to the fact that I have never had to host a Turkey Day dinner at my own home.  We get together at our parents homes, alternating every other year.

I wanted to share a few memories of why I enjoy Thanksgiving in hopes that it will remind you that despite the turbulent times which surround us, Thanksgiving is a holiday full of comfort. Comfort food, a comfortable home filled with family togetherness and thankful hearts.

I have many fond memories of Thanksgiving. It seems like it’s always been an easy holiday for people to sit around and talk and just enjoy one another’s company. The Christmas rush hasn’t started yet--but it’s only hours away! My extended family loves to play board games, make cards and scrapbook, do some target shooting, play a little football, and lengthen each hour with relaxing conversation.

I have many fond memories of the Thanksgivings I spent in Idaho. The weather was usually mild and even if there was a little snow, it was usually nice enough to go out and play in just your jacket. Mounds and mounds of mashed Idaho potatoes adorned each plate—I always remember one of my cousins was anti-gravy. He just loved to pile up the heap of white goodness with melted butter dribbling down the sides and then start shoveling. I remember one of my uncles loved the dark meat of the turkey, another uncle would never smile for a picture, and yet another who liked to play his guitar after dinner.
In my teenage years, I was kind of in limbo because I was a girl amidst a bunch of boy cousins. I didn’t like to watch football and I didn’t want to play dolls with my younger cousins, so for a few years I remember settling into my grandma’s sitting room with my journal or a good book.

Over the past ten years or so, the ladies in my family have become experts at making cards and scrapbooking. This has been very enjoyable for me. After the big dinner, we clear off the table and cover it with myriad colors of cardstock, stickers, and all kinds of stamps and inkpads. We make Christmas cards and laugh together and work until it’s time to eat some more pie.

That’s one special thing about Thanksgiving—it doesn’t matter what the economy is doing right now. It’s not going to affect our Thanksgiving celebrations, because unlike Christmas, Thanksgiving is a simple holiday with time-honored traditions which do not bow to fashion whims or economic trends.

Thanksgiving is a time to remember what we’re thankful for. We’re not worried about whether we can afford the latest new electronic gadget. Instead we’re thinking about frosty football games and pumpkin pie, uncles, aunts, and cousins. Hugs from Grandmas and Grandpas and a treasured conversation about the good ol’ days shared with Great Grandpa. And although it’s nearly time to prepare for the season of celebration for the birth of our Savior, don’t forget to invite Him to your Thanksgiving table and thank Him for the gift of family, friends, and the simple comforts of life.

Return to the Neighborhood and while you're there, subscribe to our fantastic newsletter. In addition to being able to shop in the new virtual neighborhood, the LDS newsletterbrings you LDS articles, LDS products, LDS services, LDS resources and LDSinterviews from around the world-all with an LDS focus. Look for issues delivered to your email inbox every week on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday.LDS Newsletter Subscriptions are FREE, and joining is easy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails