Monday, December 15, 2008

Is Heavenly Father Part of Your Social Network?

Glance through the contacts in your email account and you’ll probably find some friends who you don’t contact as much as you’d like. Maybe you just forward them a funny joke or touching story once in a while, but you don’t really let them know what’s going on in your life and perhaps you don’t know what’s happening in their life either. It happens. We’re all busy and it’s hard to keep up with everything. I definitely understand this concept—I don’t even send Christmas cards in the mail—I send an email Christmas card!

It always brings a smile to my face when I get a “real” message from one of my contacts instead of a forward and I’m betting they feel the same way when I have an extra second to send a personal note.

I’ve been thinking about all the different ways we rush around on the internet and in life. There always seems to be some new social networking site popping up for us to join with new friends to meet and new things to learn about. Each of these sites usually has a feature where we can invite all of the contacts in our address book to join the site with us and embark on a new social networking journey. Often you’ll find that many of your friends already belong to the same network. When you invite those who don’t already belong, some will join you and others will pass. It’s never a big deal to me whether someone accepts my invitation or not because this is a form of recreation. But if I do find something important to me I often want to share it with everyone and at times I am disappointed when everyone doesn’t accept the information I have to share. This made me think about another important aspect of my life.

Am I accepting the ultimate invitation, given on a daily basis, the one that goes something like this… “Come unto me.”

We’re all invited to come unto Christ, but do we accept this invite or ignore it? Better yet have we “invited” Heavenly Father and His son, Jesus Christ, into our lives?

Do we only send forwards to our Heavenly Father? Is He part of our myriad social networking hot spots? If there were such a thing, would He be first on our list of most contacted people?

We can send an instant message anytime without any electronic equipment through a simple method called prayer. Instead of “forwarding” a daily rote prayer with no meaning, perhaps we can have a conversation with our Father in Heaven—a real conversation where we share with Him our innermost feelings and desires and thank Him, showing our gratitude for the immense blessings we enjoy each day.

My prayers give me much more benefit when I take the time to “send” a personal message and open my heart to my Heavenly Father. When I tell Him how hard I am trying to improve myself and ask for His help with a specific weakness or when I thank Him specifically for my blessings, I feel so much closer to Him.

I hope that especially during this beautiful season we can all take the time to send a personal note to our Heavenly Father and invite Him to be a part of our lives. He has already sent His son to knock at the door, all we have to do is open it and invite Him in.

Revelation 3:20
Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.



Return to the Neighborhood and while you're there, subscribe to our fantastic newsletter. In addition to being able to shop in the new virtual neighborhood, the LDS newsletter brings you LDS articles, LDS products, LDS services, LDS resources and LDS interviews from around the world-all with an LDS focus. Look for issues delivered to your email inbox every week on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. LDS Newsletter Subscriptions are FREE, and joining is easy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails