Monday, December 22, 2008

Rachelle’s Book Club: The Best Book I read in 2008

One of the goals I made for 2008 was to read 50 books. I had never kept track of every single book I read during the year and figured that was a number I could probably reach. To date I have read 57 books this year.

I have read some pretty amazing books, some which gave me cause to consider and think about things I hadn’t before. I was disappointed by some and happily surprised by others. In my next post I will list all of the books I’ve read, but first I wanted to tell you about the best book I’ve read this year:


The Book of Mormon, another testament of Jesus Christ is #53 on my list. I started reading this book in January and finished reading it earlier this month. Most days I began my day by reading a chapter out of the Book of Mormon. I read The Book of Mormon for Latter-day Saint Families, which is the same scripture with some illustrations, extra footnotes, definitions and explanations. I have read the Book of Mormon several times already in my life but I learned so many new things in this reading and understood some things I hadn’t grasped before. Of course, I think I will probably be able to say the same thing with every reading of this inspired book of scripture. I look forward to reading it again because every time I read from The Book of Mormon, I feel closer to my Savior Jesus Christ. I love Him and I want to be like Him!

Life seems so difficult at times, but The Book of Mormon has served as my own ensign on the hill, guiding me through each day. I could tell a difference in the days when I didn’t get to read from the scriptures. Some days would seem so crazy and out of control and I would lose my patience with my children and husband and just feel downright cruddy and then I would realize that my Book of Mormon was still sitting on the shelf and I hadn’t made time to read that day.

During the year 2008, I was pregnant and then gave birth to my third baby. There were many days when I felt sick and exhausted and sometimes I would even start to fall asleep while attempting to read my scriptures. But I had made a goal to myself that this book, the most important book in my life, would be on my list of books read this year and so I prayed for help and inspiration to understand the scriptures. So many stories came to life for me. As I read about Nephi, Laman, Lemuel, Alma, Ammon, King Benjamin, Abinadi, Jesus Christ, and so many others, it was like clearing the fog from a window and I was able to see their lives and missions more clearly.

I am so grateful to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and to have my own copy of The Book of Mormon which helps me come to know Christ and His attributes so that I may try to emulate Him.

I am reading from the Bible now about our Savior’s birth and I know that Jesus Christ was sent to this earth to redeem all of mankind and teach us how to love one another. I am so grateful for the good books available to us and I want to wish all of you a Merry Christmas!

Return to the Neighborhood and while you're there, subscribe to our fantastic newsletter. In addition to being able to shop in the new virtual neighborhood, the LDS newsletter brings you LDS articles, LDS products, LDS services, LDS resources and LDS interviews from around the world-all with an LDS focus. Look for issues delivered to your email inbox every week on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. LDS Newsletter Subscriptions are FREE, and joining is easy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails