Wednesday, January 28, 2009

One Line of Scripture


Several years ago, I owned a small business in which I cleaned the homes of several clients each week. Since money was tight, my husband and I both had more than one job as we struggled to pay bills and prepare for our future family. I worked hard physically cleaning the homes and began contemplating raising my prices. I had cleaned most of the homes for over a year and felt my experience could warrant an increase in pay. I also researched and found that I was charging much less than most cleaning companies.

Each time I considered how I would go about asking for more money, I felt unsettled and uncertain as to what I should do. I spoke with my husband, Steve, many times about my feelings and he agreed that my services were valuable and I had proved my worth to my clients, but he didn’t know how to approach the delicate subject either.

I prayed to know what I should do. I asked for guidance as I struggled to find a way to raise my prices. I remember one night in particular because I spent extra time on my knees pleading with my Father in Heaven to help me make the right decision. After praying, my husband and I began our scripture study together.
We were reading in the New Testament in the book of Luke and as I read aloud a verse caught my attention. Chapter 3 verse 14 reads, “And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages.”

The last line of this verse seemed to speak right to me and my heart warmed with the prompting of the Spirit. I was surprised at the direct and specific revelation that I had been given. Although this wasn’t the answer I thought I would receive, I decided to heed the counsel. It seemed such a simple and direct command to “be content with your wages.” I continued working and the anxiety and worry I had experienced dissipated as I was content with my wages. Money still remained tight, but our jobs were steady and we knew the Lord would help us.

A few months later, one of my clients gave me a raise because she was pleased with my work. I was thrilled and then overcome with joy and gratitude when two more of my clients followed suit. I had not mentioned anything about desiring a raise and yet had received one. Because of this experience, I was assured that my Heavenly Father is aware of my needs. Not only had he helped me find the answer to my question but then he sent a solution to my problem as well.

I know the scriptures have been given to us to guide us through our problems and help us find answers to our questions. I have continued to turn to my scriptures whenever I need help in solving a problem or making a difficult decision. Each time I read the scriptures, different verses seem to stand out which apply to my current situation. I know the Book of Mormon and Bible are true scripture and a gift from our Heavenly Father to help us through this mortal life.

yourLDSneighborhood has added exciting new things to its website. Please
drop by and take a look, browse around, check out our vendors, our radio
station, our authors, our musicians and more. Check out the Neighborhood.

And while you're there, subscribe to the yourLDSneighborhood Newsletter. In addition to being able to shop in the new virtual neighborhood, the newsletter brings you articles, products, services, resources and interviews from around the world-all with an LDS focus. Look for issues delivered to your email inbox every week on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails