Thursday, February 12, 2009

My Love List Day 12- I love Music

I love music. I started taking piano lessons when I was six and took lessons all through college. My favorite piano teacher in my youth was Jolynn Flake—she was amazing and did well with the hard-headed girl who hated to count! I always tried to have someone else play the music for me or listen to it somewhere so I could play by ear (as far as counting goes) and not have to count.
When I was in college I practiced daily in one of Utah State University’s practice rooms for one hour. Something that I would’ve thought torture as a youngster, but I finally learned to appreciate the art of practicing. I love playing the piano. It’s very difficult for me to do much of that now because every time I sit down to play my girls run up and want to start playing with me. I’m okay with that because I see that they will probably love music as much as I do and I know there will soon be a day when I can play more.

I love singing. I remember singing often with my mom who also has a wonderful voice. I loved my vocal lessons and enjoyed practicing all the time. I sang a lot when I was out in the fields weeding or moving pipe. I love writing my own music and creating my own songs. I am not gifted enough to just sit down at the piano and churn out a new melody, when I write my songs I have to sing them first and then get help with the accompaniment.

I’ve always enjoyed singing for other people, most of the time not even feeling nervous. I love to sing for others because I hope that they can feel the spirit of the music like I do, that they can feel it touch their soul and awaken something, almost like a memory of where they came from. I believe music is a gift from God and He wants us to love music.

I enjoy sharing music with my children. Every night before they go to bed I sing to them. Sometimes we sing nursery rhymes, hymns, or primary songs; sometimes I can recall silly songs from my childhood like “Kookaburra sittin’ in the old gum tree,” an Australian song that I learned when I was in the first grade.

I love to listen to music. I’ve always loved country music and of course, the 80’s, but I also like classical, rock, inspirational and pretty much everything except rap.

My favorite inspirational artist is Hilary Weeks and I’ve been listening to a lot of her music lately. I also like the new country star, Taylor Swift, and am amazed at her young brilliance. Goo Goo dolls, Jimmy Eatworld, Rascal Flatts, Celine Dion, Louis Armstrong are a few of my other favorites, but really there’s so many I couldn’t name them all. I love listening on iTunes and my iPod, but the most fun is listening with my family. It’s so great to enjoy something like music together.
I come from a very musical family and I’m thankful for the love of music we share.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails