Friday, August 14, 2009

How to relieve a wasp bite

A few weeks ago I went to my little nephew's three year old birthday party. Just before the party began, he was bit by a wasp or hornet. I watched as my brother-in-law, Chad, quickly applied a penny over the bite and a bandaid to keep it in place.

I had never seen such a thing. He told me the copper helped with the pain somehow. So I stored that little tidbit of knowledge away for future reference.

Tonight, while we were picking beans Gracie got bit by a wasp on her thumb. She was screaming like a banshee and I ran with her to get a penny. I pressed the penny against the bite and within seconds she stopped screaming. This saved her from added trauma and saved my eardrums as well.

Interestingly enough when I looked this up on the internet, I found plenty of ideas here, but it said that the penny was an old wive's tale.
Well I don't care if this wife is telling a tale--it worked for us! On the 4th of July before I witnessed the penny idea, my little niece got bit by a wasp. She cried off and on for about 45 mintues. We used Benadryl cream, liquid benadryl, and ice and nothing seemed to help. I could actually see a trail of white going up her foot from where the bite was.

I used the penny for Gracie and within a minute she was fine. I witnessed the same thing with my nephew who went on to enjoy his birthday party without a worry about his wasp bite.

I guess some old wive's tales really do work.
I can't believe how well it worked. So add a penny to your first aid kit.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails