Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Book Review for Organize As You Go by Marie Ricks


Marie’s new book, Organize As You Go, is now available online and wherever fine books are sold


I was so excited to read this book because I own one of Marie’s other awesome books, Project Organization.




I have to confess that I have had a difficult time getting through many “organizing” books because, well….I get bored. So the fact that I finished this book should attest to what a great read it is. Really, I was so excited with the short, simple steps/chapters for organizing different areas of my life.



Organize As You Go - Successful Skills for Busy Lifestyles

My favorite part: I loved step 15—Taking control of endless emails. I currently have 63 new emails in my inbox and it bothers me that there are so many I haven’t even opened. But I am implementing Marie’s wonderful idea of categorizing my emails and creating an Answer Later file within my email box. There are many more ideas about this, but you’ll have to read her book to see how totally awesome they are so you can break free from the endless chain of emails!


There are several more tips for parenting, holiday planning, traveling—pretty much everything you can think of, but the organization tips were my most favorite.

I liked Marie’s ideas for organizing digital photos and am excited that now I’ll be able to find specific pictures in a snap.

I also especially loved the idea of “Do the worst jobs first” to get them over and done with so you can enjoy the rest of the day.


I wanted to ask Marie a few questions


Tell us a little about yourself.

Marie has been sharing home organization skills for more than 20 years now. She began teaching in 1986 at the local community education center where she developed an eight-week, sixteen-topic course including time management, food preparation, closet and cupboard organization, budgeting, teaching children to work, and shopping skills.

Her classes have proven popular both in San Jose, California and Utah County, where she now lives. She frequently teaches home organization principles at L.D.S. Church Enrichment Nights and at other community gatherings. She also does in-home consultations, i.e. she has seen a lot of dirty laundry, cluttered closets, and stacks of untidy paperwork, all of which is very exciting to her.


Tell us how you came up with the idea for this book?

This book is a compilation of my organizational experiences during the last year, the skills I have tested and found noteworthy, and the concepts that are shaping my improved organization skills. Even as I'm learning, I desire to share.


Any hints as to what you're working on next?

I'm currently writing a parenting book, The Children You Want With the Kids You Have, which will be published with Deseret Book in 2010. It will focus specifically on teaching a good work ethic, when to begin, how to instruct children, and the best methods for sure success.


What advice would you give aspiring writers?

My first book, House of Order Handbook, took 17 years to write, so my best advice is to keep at it around the other stewardships in your life. Write, write, and write some more. I did this initially by writing in my daily journal. Then I began writing my first organization book as a suppliment to my weekly organization classes. I self-published this first book and it was just a fledgling trying to fly. My second book, Master Menu Cookbook took only one year to write and was self-published, my fourth, Organized For A Mission, A Guide for Parents and Missionaries, just a few months (again self-published). My third book, Project Organization: Quick and Easy Ways to Organize Your Life was accepted by Deseret Book.


Any other fun tidbits?

Yes, no matter where you are, you have something so special and unique about you; you can't but help share it. Find what you have a passion about, explore it, and then share freely. The rest comes with hard work and perservance. Good luck to all fledglings trying to fly!


Thanks Marie for a great interview and a great book!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails