Friday, September 11, 2009

Honoring Patriot Day and Celebrating Our Wedding Anniversary

My husband, Steve, and I are celebrating our 11th wedding anniversary today. It's our magical anniversary, 11 years on the 11th and we're excited to go out on a date.

I love my husband and appreciate him so much. He is my biggest fan and best supporter. He makes me laugh and he takes the trash out and does dishes. :-)
I think Steve is very good looking, tall, dark, and handsome, but he looks so good to me because of the kind of person he is. I love you Steve!

Today is also Patriot Day or 9/11. On our 3rd wedding anniversary the unthinkable happened. Terrorists breached our precious land of America and stole some of our innocence.
Today the Boy Scouts placed a flag on our lawn in remembrance of 9/11. My six year old daughter asked me what the flag was for and I paused.

How do you explain to your child that we now have a day called Patriot Day because someone hated America so much that they were willing to kill innocent men, women, and CHILDREN to display that hate?

I told my daughter a little bit about what happened eight years ago today. I told her that some very bad people flew two airplanes into some tall buildings, and crashed some other airplanes that killed over 3,000 people.

Her jaw dropped open and she said, "Why would someone do that?"

"Because someone taught them from when they were children to hate America and they never tried to learn for themselves the truth," I said knowing that my answer was somewhat above her grasp but wanting to speak the words anyway.

"Mom, that is so bad," she said.

"I know," I told her and I explained that many people including little children died that day. That firefighters and other who tried to save them were crushed by the huge buildings as they collapsed.

Her mouth fell open again, "Mom, that is way worse than a scraped knee," she said.

I smiled. "It is so much worse." And then I told her that the flag helps us remember the people who died, the people who tried to save them, and that America is still a wonderful place.

I know that she won't yet fully understand what we talked about, but someday, maybe even today, she will probably see pictures of the twin towers or the wreckage left behind and she will remember what we talked about.

I still don't understand how someone could be so evil and full of hate to commit such acts of terror. But I do know that America rose from the wreckage with a spirit of patriotism that we need to remember every day how blessed our land is and how blessed we are to live here.

So Patriot Day is and always will be my wedding anniversary. Some say it's awful that our anniversary is on the same day, a day when we're celebrating our love for each other, and it's tainted by sorrow and memories of 9/11. But I'm okay with having my anniversary on 9/11 if only to prove that no matter how much hate abounds in the world, love will conquer all.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails