Monday, September 21, 2009

Since I love the Moon


I love watching the cycle of the moon as it grows to a brilliant full moon, shedding its luminescent glow on the darkness of the world and then as it wanes to a tiny sliver hanging in the sky. I love the moon because my mom loves the moon. I have several fond memories of stopping what we were doing in the house and running out to see the spectacular orb of light rising above our ancient locust trees and peeking from the clouds.

My mom sent me this information about the upcoming Harvest Moon and I wanted to share it with you.

Fall officially begins with the Autumnal Equinox on September 22. The 2009 Harvest Moon is on October 4! The Harvest Moon is the full moon that occurs closest to the Autumnal (Fall) Equinox. The Harvest Moon usually comes in September, but sometimes it will occur in early October as is the case in 2009; the next time won't come until 2017. At the peak of the harvest, farmers can work into the night by the light of this moon. Full moons rise the same time as the sun sets. Usually the moon rises an average of 50 minutes later each night, but for the few nights around the Harvest Moon, the moon seems to rise at nearly the same time each night.

Most nights, my husband and I step out on our front porch for a moment and see if the moon has made it over the steep peak of the mountain overshadowing our neighborhood. Take a second this week to watch the moon rise and enjoy this beautiful time of year.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails