Tuesday, October 20, 2009

How to Patch Pants Tutorial

If you have children, then chances are you've seen some holes like those pictured below. I think they should put steel in the knees of kids pants so they won't wear out, but since that isn't going to happen anytime soon, I thought I would share some cute ways to patch up those knee-holes.

First you need to trim any loose strings or ragged pieces of material from around the hole.
Prepare your patch. You can use matching fabric, but I decided to do something fun and let my girls pick a cute piece of sturdy cotton to cover the hole in the knee. I cut the material in the shape of a heart.

For boys, you could cut 2 different colors in squares and overlap them on the hole.
* If the hole is really big, I use a square of fabric inside the pants and then a patch on the outside, so when they are sewn together I have a double layer of material to protect those knobby knees!

Next, pin your piece of material or patch over the hole and guide the pantleg onto the sewing machine. Some people actually cut apart the pant to patch it or use iron-on patches. Those methods work great, but this is how I do it.

I used a fun hot pink thread on my daughter's jeans and zigzagged over the patch several times.


It's tricky to be able to sew all the way around the edge of the patch when the pant leg is over the sewing machine. Just go backwards and then as you go forwards again with the sewing machine, angle the material slightly and pull the material in the direction you need to stitch next.

By sewing back and forth several times, I'm able to turn the pantleg enough to stitch all around the patch.

I think these patches turned out really cute and are a lot more fun than the traditional square piece of denim. My girls were so excited to wear their patched pants, because it wasn't really patched to them. It was "decorated!"

As the pioneer motto says, "Fix it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without."

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails