Saturday, January 2, 2010

Happy New Year 2010

I'm always excited for the start of a new year because, I'll admit it, I love achieving goals. I'm a dreamer, but in a good way, I reach for those dreams until they're mine and I think that's the best feeling in the world!

I create a list of goals/to do list for my home, craft projects, physical fitness, etc. and then I create a Writing Goals page as well. I'm currently working on my 5 year plan--something I haven't done recently. I subscribe to Dave Farland/Wolverton's Daily Kick in the Pants for Writers and I loved the message he recently sent.
Dave said to write down the things you'd like to do in 5 years and then do 3 things to make your dreams come true. Do something now to make your dream a possibility and then plan for two other things you can do in the coming months to make that dream a reality.

You have to create a plan, a list of goals, a dream-sheet, whatever you want to call it, to be successful.

I believe this is the reason I'm where I'm at today--because I set goals, made a plan to achieve them, and didn't take no for an answer. I've still got a lot of stretching to do to reach more of my goals, but that's what makes life worth living.

I hope you've made some great goals for this new year. If you haven't, jot down a few and break them into smaller, manageable steps to help you see how you can achieve it.

My goal is to write two more books this year and finish up a third that's already in progress. That sounds a bit daunting to me (and probably to my critique group, ha, ha!). But if I break down those goals over the whole year, I can see just how I'll achieve it.
I'll spend time outlining my novel. I'll set word count goals each month to finish a 75,000 word manuscript within a set period of time. I'll plan for revising time and begin outlining my next novel.

Do you see what I mean? Keep a copy of your goals posted where you can see it daily and be reminded of it. I had a goal sheet with 30 items during the year 2009, some of them I knew I'd achieve and others were dreams, something I could work for, but in the end would be out of my hands. It's amazing and exciting how many of those items I achieved. There were several I didn't quite make, and so I'm considering them for this year's list and what I need to do to reach my goals.

I'd love to hear about your progress. How do you set goals? What helps you to achieve them?
What's your BIG dream for your 5 year plan?

My BIG dream is to be a New York Times Bestselling author. I'm taking the first baby steps this March when my first suspense novel, Wrong Number, will be released.

I hope you have a happy new year full of big dreams, great goals, and exciting thrills!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails