Sunday, July 4, 2010

Celebrating America

Happy Independence day! I'm grateful to be an American. Yes, I am, even in these tenuous times of crashing economies and questionable leadership, I still believe that The United States of America is a wonderful place to live.

I'm grateful for the freedoms that I enjoy, the privileges I have because I'm an American. I know that America can look different to every person who lives here because of their circumstances and/or choices, but I believe that my life has been blessed with the opportunity of being born on this continent.

The United States of America still has nearly every problem that every other country has in the world, but what separates this great nation from the world is the multitude of opportunities that overshadow those problems. A person with determination and resources really can accomplish just about anything with the opportunities available in America.

If I had been born in another country, I might have been discouraged from seeking higher education or I might have faced many wars by the time I reached my teenage years. In a third-world country, I may not have even learned to read or write--that thought sends a shudder through my body--to think of having the magic of the written word taken from me.

So today I feel blessed to live in this great nation. I pray that our leaders will make wise choices to keep this nation great. I hope you have a wonderful holiday!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails