Friday, July 9, 2010

Stopping to Smell the Roses

June brings out the most beautiful roses in my rose garden. I wanted to share one of my bouquets that I cut a full week ago and is still looking lovely on my counter.



They continue on through the summer as long as I keep deadheading them--something I learned after I moved into my house with an established rosebed. If you don't know what I'm talking about, "deadheading" is when you trim off the spent rose blooms. You must look at the stems and find the first grouping of 5 leaves and cut right below that grouping. This will keep your roses blooming all summer long. If you don't deadhead your roses, you will not get to experience an abundance of blooms. I'm not an expert and am still trying to learn how to keep the bugs from getting a select few rose varieties, but I wanted to remind you to stop and smell the roses and keep trimming all summer long.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails