Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A few pictures from Chautauqua, New York

I wanted to post a few pictures of the beautiful surroundings I was lucky enough to enjoy when I went to my Highlights Writers Conference at Chautauqua, New York.
The hydrangeas were in bloom and they were gorgeous! Here's a picture of a bush starting to bloom.

I'd never seen hydrangeas outside of pictures and labels on lotion bottles, so I was excited about the blues, pinks, whites, and other colors of this magnificent flower.

These flowers lined the streets and caught my eye everywhere I went that week. These are all pictures I took with my cell phone, but I think they turned out pretty well.

I also was lucky enough to go on a nature walk where we learned about looking closely at our surroundings and finding interesting things to spice up our writing.
 
Check out the cool-looking fungus growing on this tree stump, just a few steps off the paved walking trail.

We were given a look at Chautauqua: Something Old, Something New. Everything there is structurally pretty old--the place I stayed was built in 1880, but when we walked the grounds we learned about the age of the forests and other natural growth occurring there.


I attended several classes in this building. It's called The Hall of Christ.
 
It was inspiring to live among such picturesque surroundings for a week and I'm busy putting that inspiration to work. I'll post some pictures of the quaint little place I stayed soon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails