Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veterans Day

My dad is a veteran of a foreign war. During the draft, he decided to take his future into his own hands and pick where he wanted to go. He enlisted in the US Navy shortly before the Vietnam war ended and served for four years on the USS Forrestal.
USS Forrestal-600px.jpg

Serving in any branch of the military is not for the faint of heart. My dad is a no-nonsense kind of guy and my hero in the sense that I've always known he can do anything he puts his mind to. He has expected the same no-nonsense determination and perseverance from his kids and I'm grateful to have taken on that trait.

When my husband and I toured the naval air carrier, USS Midway, in San Diego I gained another facet of new respect for my dad. Walking down those steep, narrow stairs into the belly of that giant metal monster, I thought about the living conditions, the training exercises, the grueling work that went on in the middle of vast oceans and I actually felt a bit claustrophobic.

I was able to see the bunks stacked closely together and think of too many dirty, stinky feet and sweaty bodies crammed into a giant container floating on the sea. I thought about four years of service to this great country and how proud I am of my father.

I want to thank all of those who serve this beautiful land of liberty, America, by working in their respective branches of the military: The Navy, Army, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard.

Thanks Dad, for being such a great example to me. I love you. HAPPY VETERAN'S DAY! ANCHORS AWEIGH!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails