Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Book Review: Forbidden Sea

I am thoroughly enjoying reading the many wonderful books selected as Whitney Award Finalists.
I just finished reading Forbidden SeaForbidden Sea by Sheila A. Nielson and loved it! This book is up for two awards--a genre award in the Youth Fiction-Speculative category and also the category of Best Book by a New Author.

Sheila Nielson did a fabulous job with her descriptive details and I loved the spin she put on the myth of the mermaids. This story has a classic Cinderella feel to it and at the beginning, I'll admit I was slightly depressed at how hard Adrianne's life was--that's a good thing though--it means the author did her job well of making the main character so realistic that I felt genuine sorrow for her.
I highly recommend this book because the message that Nielson weaves throughout the story of personal self-worth and value is so important for our youth today. She writes in such a way that you become so entrenched in the story and characters you won't want the story to end.
So grab a copy and read this great book published by Scholastic Press. Then go visit the Whitney Awards site and choose another finalist to read. I'd love to know what finalists you have read and enjoyed.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails