Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Book Review: Wolves, Boys, and Other Things That Might Kill Me

I've been a reading maniac the past couple months, trying to read through as many Whitney Award Finalists as possible before voting ended. This is a review of the last book I read before the voting period was over: Wolves, Boys, and Other Things That Might Kill MeWolves, Boys and Other Things That Might Kill Me by Kristin Chandler. This book was excellent!
I will admit that the cover did little to impress me and the title even less. I was confused, wondering if it was some kind of werewolf book--it was not.

The voice of KJ, the main character in this book, was intriguing, realistic, awe-inspiring, and even a little sarcastic. Chandler did an incredible job of weaving in the real life story of the re-introduction of wolves to Yellowstone National Park and the dangers they pose to local ranchers. But it was also a realistic look at life as a teenage girl trying to discover herself and a new boyfriend in the process.

There were so many great moments in the book from funny to a shiver-cringe. I read this book on my Kindle and have to say I am loving that little device when I am rocking my baby and only have one hand to read.
So, if you're looking for a great general fiction book for young adults, I suggest you check out Wolves, Boys, and Other Things That Might Kill Me. Chandler definitely surprised me with her tight storyline and excellent narrative skills.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails