Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Raspberry Pickin' Tips

 I love this time of year at my parent's home in Idaho because the raspberries are ripe for the pickin'! There's nothing like the burst of flavor packed into those red gems. I've picked raspberries for years and years, but it wasn't until about four years ago when I learned the best tip ever for raspberry picking.

All you need is a milk jug and a belt and you will be able to pick raspberries, hands-free!
No more balancing containers while trying to move branches loaded with berries. My mom and I both mourned the loss of so many raspberries when we accidentally dropped handfuls or even the container. We used these little green baskets (old strawberry baskets), in the picture below to pick raspberries when I was younger. Look at how many more raspberries we can get in the milk jug.

Take a used milk jug. Wash it out. Cut out a hole in the top. Loop a belt through the handle of the milk jug and then put the belt around your waist. Start picking!

I recommend only letting the milk jug get about half-full of raspberries because the weight will smash the berries in the bottom if you don't empty your jug before then.

Even my eight year old daughter has been able to help pick with this method and we're all enjoying the berries.
What about you? Do you love raspberries? How do you like to eat them? Breakfast, lunch, dinner, ice cream...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails