Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Help Book Review

Have you read The Help by Kathryn Stockett?

The HelpIf not, I can't recommend this book highly enough. I loved it! It's a powerful novel based on events during the Civil Rights era in Jackson, Mississippi.
I kept thinking about this book for weeks after I read it. The point of view of the characters is written wonderfully. Through their eyes we learn their personal stories and also historical events in the early 1960s. 

Have you seen the movie? What did you think? I was worried about how they would be able to condense all of the wonderful stories and information from the book into a film.
The Help (Movie Tie-In)

I just saw the movie and I really enjoyed it. I thought they did a good job of portraying the novel and the actors were great. In the book, Minnie was a spitfire and I was excited to see how the actress did. I'm happy to say that she did great and kept me laughing. The movie was a reminder of how powerful the book was. The Help tugged at my heartstrings, made me gasp in disbelief at some of the germs that make up the human race, and then made me cry with how beautiful some humans can be if they choose to look outside themselves.

I loved the voice of Aibileen as I'm sure most do, but I loved her particularly because she understood one thing that was most important--children are God's ultimate gift to us and should be treated as such. I loved reading about her kindness and how hard she worked to help little Mae Mobley understand that she was a good and kind girl.

I love novels like "The Help" that encourage me to think hard about this world we live in, the history of our nation, and how far we've come in just a few decades.

If you've read this book, I'd love to know what your favorite part was. If it's something that gives too much away, then just put *spoiler alert* at the beginning of your comment or feel free to email me too!

So what did you think? And what book are you reading now?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails