Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Book Review: September 12th We Knew Everything Would Be All Right


I picked this book up at my kids elementary school Scholastic Book Fair and began flipping through it. After the first couple pages, I was swallowing my tears. I bought the book and felt a little anxious about reading it to my kids. I thought about what I might say, what questions they might have about that fateful day--September 11, 2001.
I am so glad I bought this book. What a wonderful experience it was for me and my children.


Here's the little blurb from Amazon:
Heartfelt and touching book by 1st graders at Masterson Elementary School in Kennet, Missouri, about the day after the tragic events of September 11th. These students were given a commemorative Sept


On September 11th horrific events occurred, yet through the simple text and vibrant art of first graders, we are reminded that the world continued the next day. On each page, children experience the comforts of ordinary routines, such as their teacher reading books to them, having homework and recess, and knowing that 2 + 2 still equals 4. This is a poignant message of hope that reassures us all that even after bad things happen, tomorrow always brings a new day.


This book is written in such a beautiful way--perfect for starting a dialogue with children to explain the events of September 11, 2001. I think most adults will have tears in their eyes after reading this simple story.

I could see my daughters minds whirring as we looked at the pictures illustrated by first-graders and I explained about the jets flying into the twin towers. We talked about the thousands of people who died and were injured that day and how it affected our country. I was able to help them understand a little bit more about freedom, our flag, pride in America, and what it means to support your country.

It was also important because we talked about how when bad things happen, we keep going--we keep living and trying to do what's right. We personally talked about how bad things happen to good people sometimes, and even though it's hard to understand, we can always rely on the simple truths that God loves us and His son, Jesus Christ is our Savior.

If you haven't had the opportunity to talk to your children about 9/11, get this book and provide an experience that will touch their hearts and yours.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails