Monday, May 21, 2012

Hawaiian Travelogue

One week ago today I arrived home from the beautiful island of Kauai in Hawaii.


This is my new background on my desktop computer. Ahh, isn't it beautiful? That is a picture of the Na Pali coast, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Traveling to Hawaii has been a dream of mine for quite some time, and honestly I didn't think it would be happening for probably another decade because of the run of luck we've had in the Christensen household. When my baby broke his arm in 3 places in January and the bills just kept coming, I started to panic about this trip! Thankfully, because of a lot of careful planning and great tips from my awesome brother we were still able to go. Our flights were nearly free, we stayed in a condo with my brother who was working there, and nearly everything we did in Kauai was free.

Have I mentioned how much I love my brother? Yep, I do. And my parents and Steve’s parents who took care of our kids while we were gone—the longest we’d ever been away from our kids!
As many of you know I like to write novels and last year I started a new suspense series about a wedding planner who solves mysteries. Well, in book 2 she plans a destination wedding in Hawaii and I really needed to go to Hawaii to research my book. Not gonna lie, I had so much fun researching!

I want to keep a record of the wonderful time my hubby and I had in Kauai, and I thought it’d be fun to share a little travelogue with you. I’ll share with you a few secrets I discovered for my book’s plot and lead into a fun giveaway.
So here’s my first day in Hawaii. 

  After a long seven hour flight in a murderous straight-backed chair—Steve and I were right by the dividing wall so our seats could not even recline an inch (talk about bobble-head dolls) I was so glad to get off that plane.
My brother picked us up at the airport and we drove to the South shore and stopped at the Hyatt Resort to sign for our rental car—Amazing! 


That was the closest I’d been to the ocean in a decade. That cliff you see is famous in the movie Six Days, Seven Nights with Harrison Ford--it's the one they jumped off of.

So the wedding planner in my book is probably going to stay at the Hyatt with the wedding party and do some activities there, but I’m not sure about the actual wedding ceremony yet. But holy cow, that place was amazingly beautiful. I have some more pictures of the incredible beach front pools they have.

Then we went to our condo at Poipu Kapili not five minutes from Poipu Beach.   

Our bedroom looked out over the ocean and we walked across the street and sat on a rock wall to watch the sun set.
Here’s a pic of that sunset and my awesome brother, Patrick.

 
We went to bed at 8:45 completely exhausted because of the 4 hour time difference from Utah. I woke up around 4am and looked out at the ocean and took this picture of the full moon. 

It was so bright I could see the waves crashing. Then I crawled back into bed and slept in for the first time in way too long!
Join me soon for day 2 of the Kauai, Hawaiian Travelogue. Did I mention I took over 700 pictures? Yeah, you won’t get to see but a smidgen of them, but I have some way cool shots.

Have you been to Hawaii? Kauai? Tell me about it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails