Monday, July 16, 2012

Picking Raspberries the Smart Way

Every summer, for as long as I can remember I picked raspberries at the edge of my mom's garden. Now I love to go visit my family during raspberry harvest and pick until my fingers are stained purple. But it wasn't until about five years ago that we found a genius idea from some professional raspberry pickers. Before we always held a container in one hand and picked with the other. My mom has a ton of raspberries--as in, we pick by the gallon! Needless to say, I love this idea!
 How to make your raspberry picking contraption:
Take any gallon size container with a handle, for example milk jugs work great or these heavy duty orange juice containers are my favorite.
Cut off the top part of the jug to create an opening that is large enough to dip your hand into or as you can see below, maybe a little munchkin's hands.
 Next, take a piece of twine or a belt and thread it through the handle of your jug and tie or loop around your waist. Ta da! Now you can have two hands to pick berries, one to lift up those branches and the other to grab all those beautiful red berries hanging under the leaves.

I love raspberries. I think picking them is therapeutic and I'm so grateful my mom and dad share their sweet goodness with me and my family!


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails