Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Not Even Once, A Great Motto for Kids in Wendy Nelson's New Book



I have a fabulous book to share with you today. The Not Even Once Club by Wendy Watson Nelson is the perfect story to help kids the understand the power of their choices, of peer pressure, and also the power of good friends. Illustrated by Brandon Dorman, this book has pictures that pop, appealing to children young and old.

After I read this book, I was so excited that I went to the website in the book and printed out posters for each of my kids. Then we read this book for our family night and had a great discussion about what "Not Even Once" means. My kids loved it! They began using Not Even Once as their password when they were playing games. Even  my two-year-old could be heard chanting, "Not Even Once!"

I was so impressed with this book that I took it to church and read it to my seven-year-old Sunday School class. Such a great lesson in an enjoyable book! I'd recommend this book to anyone with children or grandchildren!

This book isn't about perfection. It's about making a commitment to do the best you can. We all make mistakes, but if we don't start with a goal in mind, which is to be like the Savior, how can we expect to come anywhere close to that goal? Just because we are going to make mistakes doesn't mean that we shouldn't learn, try, and set goals, boundaries, and guidelines to help our children have the best chance of success when it comes to obeying the commandments. I wouldn't tell my kids, "Well, since you can't be perfect don't worry about trying for it because I don't want you to feel bad when you make a mistake." Yet, that is the sentiment I've seen posted for this book. That is sad.

I urge you to read this book, keeping in mind what the Savior said in Matthew 5:48: "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."

Why would the Savior give us a commandment He knew would be impossible for us to obey? Because He also gave us the Atonement and that is central to His plan. Nelson's book encourages us to follow Christ and obey his commandments. I certainly don't see anything wrong with that and all of the children I have read it to have been excited, happy, and smiling about joining the "Not Even Once Club." We've also had plenty of lessons on the Atonement and love, something I noticed lacking in most of the reviews on this book.


The Not Even Once Club is an adorable and appealing way to engage children in a story that will help them choose for themselves to keep the commandments and to never break them. Not even once.

Children will meet Tyler, an energetic boy who is excited to make new friends in his Primary class. They have invited Tyler to join their special club, but first he has to pass the test and keep the club promise.

With illustrations from bestselling illustrator Brandon Dorman, The Not Even Once Club is a fun and engaging way for parents to help teach their children the importance of keeping the commandments. Included in the back of the book are additional teaching helps for parents and leaders.http://deseretbook.com/Not-Even-Once-Club-Wendy-Watson-Nelson/i/5097848


About the Author
Wendy Watson Nelson holds a Ph.D. in family therapy and gerontology. Prior to her marriage to Elder Russell M. Nelson, she was a professor of marriage and family therapy for twenty-five years. Sister Nelson has served as a stake Relief Society president, stake Primary president, and chaired theBYU Women’s Conference. Currently, she is an institute instructor and visiting teacher. Sister Nelson was born in Raymond, Alberta, Canada, to Leonard David and Laura Byrde McLean Watson.




About the Illustrator
Brandon Dorman is the illustrator of the #1 New York Times bestsellerThe Wizard. He graduated from Brigham Young University-Idaho, where he studied fine art and illustration. He and his wife, Emily, have three children and live in Washington, where he enjoys working as a freelance illustrator. His work has appeared in children’s books and on numerous covers, including Pingo, The Candy Shop War, and the Fablehaven series. See more of Brandon Dorman’s artwork at BrandonDorman.com

I received a review copy of this book, as always all of my opinions are my own.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails