Thursday, October 23, 2014

Authentic Happiness in Seven Emails, Book Review


Authentic Happiness in Seven Emails: A philosopher's simple guide to the psychology of joy, satisfaction, and a meaningful life (Psychology of Happiness Book 1)

I was given an e-copy of this book in return for my honest review. I'm happy I took a chance on this book because it was an excellent reminder of so many wonderful concepts I studied in my own college experience to graduate in psychology.

The book is written from the perspective of psychology professor Dr. Wong writing emails to a woman named Vickay. She asks what happiness really is and why people who have so much still can't find happiness.

Dr. Wong responds in seven emails to Vickay breaking down the mis-beliefs of society and explaining what brings authentic happiness to our life.

The first part of the book dragged and I worried how the format would flow. Much of the studies the author noted were those that I had studied in college and so it resonated with me, but I wondered how the average reader would relate to the book without a background in psychology. I felt that midway through the book, the author hit his stride and was able to convey the concepts in a more relatable fashion with excellent anecdotes on life and the search for happiness.

While reading Authentic Happiness in Seven Emails: A philosopher's simple guide to the psychology of joy, satisfaction, and a meaningful life (Psychology of Happiness Book 1) I found myself trying out the tips suggested, smiling at the gift of taking a warm shower, having diapers to change my baby with, and food staples to make a dinner from scratch. Galindo shows in his book that those same tasks could be viewed in a negative light and I could be feeling sorry for myself for doing laundry, cleaning bathrooms, wiping spit-up off my shirt. The magical gift of authentic happiness is found in a shift in perception.

I loved Dr. Wong's metaphors  for living life Easy, Light, Smooth, and Meaningful taken from a running expert's wisdom. I found myself jogging one morning while reading the book and thinking about how my day could be Easy, Light, Smooth, and (Fast) Meaningful.

I'd recommend this book because I think that you could definitely glean several nuggets of life-changing wisdom from the positive psychology expertise of Dr. Wong.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails