Monday, March 30, 2015

My Not So Impressed Review of The 4 Hour Work Week by Timothy Ferriss



I had the opportunity to read and review a book that's been around for a while. Many of you might have heard of The 4-Hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss. 
 This book has a lot of great info. Ferriss has basically tapped into many of the masters and compiled a plan that utilizes their smarts. He's successful and a lot of his ideas are life-changing and motivating. I marked up several chapters of the book and highlighted quotes, etc. I found a lot of value in the reminder to guard my time, not check email more than 2-3 times a day, and work more efficiently.
Here's the reason I can only give this book 2 stars. I just don't think Tim Ferriss has it all figured out the way he thinks and says he does. Most of the book emphasizes taking mini-retirements and being able to live like the new rich. He teaches about out-sourcing and traveling the world for six months at a time, a year at a time, etc. I think that Ferriss has missed the boat on life because there's some fundamental problems that he doesn't have the answer to.
I DON'T want to travel the world for six months at a time and I don't want to hire a personal chef (well some days :)). I have a beautiful family and I love spending time with my husband and 5 kids. I love planting a garden and harvesting the most divine peaches you've ever tasted off my backyard fruit trees. I love watching my chickens and eating their fresh eggs.
I do enjoy traveling, but not at the expense (and this is not in dollars) of my family's ability to grow and make connections in a community, with their family, in our church, schools, and neighborhood. Trading all of that for the ability to go live in a rain forest or Hawaii or some other tropical beach location is not worth it. And Tim Ferriss doesn't get that.
If there was a joy meter and you could measure happiness, I guarantee you that my happiness levels would be higher than Tim Ferriss. How, you might ask? How could I think that when I just changed a dirty diaper, did laundry, swept the floor... How could my happiness be higher than someone who can hire a personal chef and jet set anywhere? The simple things in life bring about the most beauty. Watching my children run around the back yard. Hugging my husband for making breakfast this morning and taking the kids to school. Visiting my parents and taking a BIG suitcase that is heavy and full of all kinds of baby and kid stuff, craft projects, and just what we need to enjoy our stay. Having a HOME that we live in to raise our children to responsible, caring, kind, and loving adults who will hopefully be able to raise their own families with great values.
Yes, there are lots of people without families or couples who can't have children, that isn't what this is about because those people aren't writing books and teaching the world to leave everything behind to live like the New Rich out of one suitcase for weeks on end.
Now, before you think I'm knocking the guy too hard...
Add to that when I visited his blog, the headliner article was something about micro-dosing and drugs in other countries and my opinion of Ferriss just went right down the drain. It's a shame because the guy has potential but he's too busy globe-trotting and thrill-seeking to find out the secret he's still searching for.
You can read this book if you want, but I think your time would be better spent researching some of the masters that Ferriss quotes, unless of course you also want to search the world over trying to find something to make you happy and then write a book about how you did it while staying in hostels, cheap apartments, and living out of one suitcase.
This book was provided to me by bloggingforbooks.com in exchange for my honest review.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails